Connecting to a Kafka ClusterMenu
Now that you’ve created a cluster, it’s time to connect your application to your new Kafka cluster. Aside from setting your firewall rules, Instaclustr provides a few examples (customised to your cluster) for the wide selection of client libraries Kafka supports to help you through this process.
- After your Cluster has finished provisioning, navigate to your Cluster Details page. All your nodes should be in a Running state with no errors listed. Some infrastructure providers allocate both public and private (data centre local) IP addresses to cluster nodes. If both are available, they will be listed with their respective nodes on this page.
Note: We suggest that if your application is running within the same data centre as your cluster, you investigate configuring your client to connect to the private addresses. Please refer to your provider’s pricing documentation.
- Instaclustr manages the firewall permissions for the nodes in your cluster. Each cluster node only allows connections from one or more trusted IP addresses. You can add one or more trusted IP addresses to the cluster firewall on the Cluster Settings page for the cluster.
Click Cluster Settings from the Manage Cluster menu.
- Under Firewall Rules section, enter any additional IP addresses you wish to trust to the Kafka Allowed Addresses list.
Note: If your cluster is running on AWS and using VPC peering and you would prefer that an AWS security group be allowed to connect rather than individual addresses, please raise a support request.Click the Save Cluster Settings button when you are finished.
Note: this setting page contains two other option settings under the Cluster section. Firstly, you can enter a description of your cluster. Secondly, the Two-factor Delete option provides additional security against accidentally deleting a cluster. If it is enabled, a member of our Support team will confirm a delete request via a designated e-mail address or telephone number before your cluster is deleted.
- Instaclustr provides connection information and examples on the Connection Info page which can be accessed by clicking Connection Details from the Manage Cluster menu.
- The Connection Info page contains a list of your node addresses, authentication credentials to connect to your cluster and a few connection examples for popular clients Kafka supports.
At this point we provide custom examples for: