Instaclustr is pleased to announce the general availability of Cassandra 4.0 as part of our Managed Cassandra offering on the Instaclustr Managed Platform. Cassandra 4.0 delivers greater performance, unmatched stability, and new auditing capabilities, among other valuable features for the enterprise driven by the Apache Cassandra community.
Cassandra 4.0 beta releases have been available in preview on the Instaclustr Managed Platform since March of 2020. The general release of Cassandra 4.0 from the Apache Foundation has been exhaustively tested and is the most stable release of Cassandra to date. Instaclustr has already adopted Cassandra 4.0 for our internal critical infrastructure to realize its significant benefits for stability and performance.
Cassandra 4.0 brings a wealth of improvements and new features including:
- Five times faster streaming between nodes as well as 25% faster throughput on reads and writes
- Full query logging capability
- A new form of metrics called virtual tables accessible through CQL
- New and more efficient compression algorithms
As part of this release, we have also run our Certified Cassandra testing process. We are currently finalizing our Certified Cassandra test report for Cassandra 4.0 and plan to release this next week. This report provides detailed performance comparisons against previous versions of Cassandra as well as a summary of caveated features that we recommend treating with caution.
The Instaclustr Managed Platform makes it easy for organizations to deliver applications at scale by fully hosting and managing their open source data infrastructure. Our Managed Cassandra service gives customers using Cassandra 4.0, as well as supported earlier releases, the following benefits:
- Cluster provisioning, configuration, and monitoring using the Instaclustr Console or REST APIs
- Support for hosting in the cloud on Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform, or on-premises
- Easy scaling
- SOC 2 compliance
- PCI-DSS compliant options
- 99.99% enterprise SLAs
- Highly responsive 24×7 support from Instaclustr’s expert team (more details on support and support SLAs here)
- Apache Spark 3.0 add-on
- Apache Lucene add-on for full text search capabilities
If you’re a current customer, you can contact our Technical Operations or Customer Success teams for any questions you have about Cassandra 4.0. New customers can begin a free trial of Instaclustr’s Managed Cassandra here or contact the Instaclustr Sales team.