Creating a Kafka ClusterMenu
- To get started, after setting up your user account, navigate to the Clusters Overview page and click the Create Cluster button. This will take you to the Create Cluster page.
- On the Create Cluster page, choose a cluster name and configuration matching your performance and pricing requirements. Instaclustr recommends that cluster nodes are allocated across all racks within a data centre, and that the allocation be evenly distributed. This ensures stability, fault-tolerance and consistent performance. Enter an appropriate name for your cluster.
- Under the Applications section, select Kafka and choose the version and any add-ons you require.
- Under Data Centre section, select your Infrastructure Provider, Region, Custom Name, Data Centre Network address block, Node Size, Replication Factor and number of nodes. If you choose AWS as your provider you also need to select your EBS Encryption preference. Refer to our support article on Network Address Allocation to understand how we divide up the specified network range to determine the node IP addresses
- Under the Kafka Options section, select your Security and Topics settings. See here for more information on security options. Enabling the topic auto-create option will cause a topic to be created automatically whenever a message is produced to a topic that doesn’t exist. Enabling the topic delete option will allow topics to be deleted via the ic-kafka-topics tool.
Note: Instaclustr detects the IP address of the computer used to access the Dashboard and creates a firewall rule to your computer to connect to the cluster. Certain web proxies may interfere with this mechanism and Instaclustr will see their IP address instead. We suggest you verify the detected address.
- Select SLA Tier you want to tag your cluster with. Non-production clusters may receive lower priority support and reduced SLAs. Production tier is not available when using Developer class nodes. You can find more information here.
- The Summary section displays a brief summary of your cluster configurations and pricing details. Click the Terms and Conditions link to open the Instaclustr Terms and Conditions and other policy documents. After going through the document, select the checkbox to accept the Terms and Conditions. Once you are happy with the cluster configuration and have accepted the terms and conditions, click the Create Cluster button to start creating the cluster.
- Provisioning a cluster can take some time depending on the responsiveness of the underlying cloud provider. All status messages will be displayed along with the progress of the cluster creation on the Clusters’ page.
- You have now finished creating your Kafka cluster, congratulations! All your clusters will be listed on the Clusters Overview page. You can view details of your cluster by clicking the Cluster Details button.
- We recommend reviewing the following support articles as a next step:
- For information on how to provision an Apache Kafka Cluster via the Instaclustr Provisioning API, see this page: Instaclustr Provisioning API
Note: When creating an Instaclustr Kafka cluster there is one security option to consider: whether or not to encrypt traffic between clients and brokers. Regardless of which client ⇆ broker encryption settings you choose, Instaclustr enforces broker ⇆ broker encryption and client authentication using SCRAM on all clusters.
If the client ⇆ broker encryption option is enabled, TLS will be used to encrypt traffic between clients and brokers. It is important to note that using TLS can result in an approximately 30% performance reduction.
Client ⇆ Broker Encryption
Note: Client ⇆ broker encryption is not available on AWS “Developer” node sizes.
This option determines whether or not to use TLS to encrypt communication between clients and brokers. Instaclustr recommends this option be enabled if the data being communicated is sensitive and is being sent over the public network.
Contact us at email@example.com if there is any issue in provisioning your cluster.